Today was filled with touring the city as three people did their presentations. It started off at 9:00 am where we went to the Church of San Pietro in Vincoli (a church that Pope Sixtus loved and of which I learned in my presentation). The Church was close by where I live so we didn't have to take the usual 20-30 minute walk to the UW Rome Center. At the church, Alexandra presented her topic on the church and the famous Michelangelo's sculpture of Moses. It was interesting to compare Freud's theory on the emotion the sculpture was evoking and what the intentions and implications may be. Moses definitely has a calm face but his body seems tense - a mix of anger and restraint. The sculpture seems to represent Moses when he got the tablets of the Ten Commandments. This was the time when the people started to worship a false golden idol - which may explain the tensed up body of Moses (looks almost like Zeus).
Later, we went to Capitoline Hill, where Melanie presented how Michelangelo redesigned this area. Statues line the top of the buildings, there are two large "river gods" as apart of a fountain, and there are long steps that lead up to this hill so that horses could go up. This is an amazing place as the history of its transformation from a dirt filled hill to beautiful architecture and view.
At 3:30 pm, we went to the Il Gesu, which I pass by everyday when I walk to school. There, Anand presented his topic Jesuit churches and the Jesuits (Society of Jesus). On the outside, it seems plain and white; but, once you step inside, it is extravagant and surreal. The paintings on the ceileing pop out in 3D with detailed colors and design. Different precious metals are incorporated to the art. One thing that caught my eye was the shrine of Saint Ignatius of Loyola. It was ornately decorated and even had a door that would slide up to cover up the statue with a beautiful painting (you would never know the statue was there with the painting up!). I didn't know much about the Jesuits and the Counter Reformation, so I definitely learned a lot today.


0 comments:
Post a Comment